Thursday, March 20, 2008

Flomaton, AL

1:59 PM 3/19/2008 Flomaton AL, dirt patch next to Flomaton High School, driver's seat

So, parking is one of my biggest concerns so far. I can back up the truck pretty much however I need to though sometimes it may take a while. I can drive for hours on end on the interstate (anybody can keep it in between the lines), and operate it however I need to. Parking though, is a different story. At night, truck stops and rest stops fill up so there is no space which forces you to be a little creative in your parking, or you readjust your driving times. So far I've parked in front of a closed bbq cafe, at a yet-to-be-built truck stop, in front of a no parking sign at a truck stop, and a rest stop spot I found by chance. Last night however, I found the best place so far, and if I'm ever within 20 miles of this place again I'll come back without a doubt.

As I was driving through really small and rural Florida towns, I became more and more intent on finding a place to park in the near future. I only saw one other big truck in front of me, so I asked on the CB if he knew a decent place to park and he told me there was a What-a-burger right on the corner of the place I was supposed to turn off at. So I took his advice and gingerly crept into the place, not sure if it was going to work out yet or not. Once I got in though, I saw that it was an ideal place. I didn't have to back into a spot, I could just pull through. Once I parked I went inside to check how far the shipper was from there, and found out it was less than 10 miles away. That sealed the deal and I went back to the truck, turned it off, and logged off for the night. I couldn't contain my appetite, so I had to order some food.

While I was standing and staring at the menu, I made small talk with the manager and the girl working the counter. When they started talking to me as though I was a normal person I knew right away that it was a really good thing that I had chosen to stay there for the night.

I have found that many people think that because I am driving a truck, I am a moron. I don't mean they think I'm foolish for choosing to drive a truck, I mean that they think a am a fool BECAUSE I drive a truck. So a lot of the times I am faced with condesending tones, holier-than-thou attitudes, and just plain nastiness. Now, I am by no means a genius and brilliant isn't a word I'd use to describe myself, but I am certainly not stupid. It's insulting to be judged before I even get a chance to speak. and being labeled is no fun. I've never really run into anything like this before, so it's definitely an interesting experience. I don't even try to fight it though, because once people have made up their minds that 2+2= 5, there is no convincing them otherwise.

I really can't count the number of times though that I've had people look at me like I took a shit on their shoes when I try to talk to them.

Because I drive a truck.

Think about it.

Anyway, having people treat me like a normal person was great and it really helps to fight the ever-present lonliness thats lurking out on the road. They asked me how long I had been driving and I told them it was actually my fourth or fifth day out on the road. I was quick to tell them that it was only a temporary thing, a way to get out of debt and get back into college. Whenever anyone takes the time to talk me, I find myself always quickly explaining that its not permanent. That I'm not a truck driver, just a guy who's driving a truck. There is a big difference. As I tried paying for my meal, my card was declined and I was short a couple of bucks. The manager, who had either driven truck before or has a husband who did-- I can't remember, told me she knew how it was starting out and not to worry about it, she'd take care of it. I was taken totally aback by her kindness.

As I sat down and ate my meal I was aware of how far I was from home but somehow I felt comfortable where I was at that moment. It's strange having two conflicting sets of... comforts... staring eachother in the face. The burger was good, and the soda was great also (I totally broke my diet) and then I found out two very important and exciting pieces of information: 1. They had wi-fi that was FREE and 2. The lobby was open 24 hours. I quickly ran outside, got my laptop, and set up shop inside. Once I had settled in, I asked all the employees and the two managers if I could take a picture. They kindly obliged and then all conspired together and gave me a whataburger hat signed by all of them. As well as a take out menu, a compass (they told me it was for if I ever lost my way, it would help me find my way back to my friends-- I have it hanging right in front of me in the truck. I don't think they'll know the meaning I've attached to it) and a card that was good for a free combo meal. They really took care of me there. I got an e-mail address and a myspace page from them, and I told them to circulate my blog address once I gave it to them.

So, if any of you are reading this-- you really made a traveller and a lonely guy feel at home. So thank you.

I spent a good six hours or so doing things I had put off doing for lack of internet connection, and as a result my laptop is pretty much completely up to par. AND I just figured out how to power the laptop from inside the truck-- the battery (SP) is pretty terrible. So, I should be able to update a bit more often now. And as soon as I get a USB cable I'll be adding pictures.

So now I sit and wait for Brittany, Dan, and Taylor to meet me on their way back to Auburn. As it turns out, my route to Texas and their route intersect so I'm taking a bit of time to hang out with them, because I can never have too much of a set of friendly faces. (So much for not blending personal time and business)

If each day was like the last 24 hours, I think this whole experience will be a great one.

Keep reading.

No comments: