Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Next Step

I passed all three of my skills tests.

By no means was I graceful in doing so, but I did it. And for someone who has never driven anything larger than an F-350 and never even dealt with a trailer, I think that's pretty damn impressive.


If I can put this machine where I want it to go, in reverse, and with only 3-4 days of instruction, I think I can do just about anything.

The range is basically one trailer's worth of a classroom and about fifty tractors and trailers in the middle of an old navy airfield. The night shift (my shift) leaves for the range at around 4:00 pm, and ends at 2:00 am. The majority of this time, we're standing outside on the tarmac, practicing basic skills. We have groups of three. One person drives, while the other two walk outside the truck and offer advice.


If you were to stop, and look around, it would seem like you were right in the middle of some sort of bizarre mechanical ballet. We stay in very low gears and don't even use the accelerator so it's almost as if everything is in slow-motion, with trucks bending and twisting around eachother and people walking 'long side them.

You can't help but feel a sense of awe that these machines can be manipulated in such a fashion.

The first day I got to the range, I experienced something that I don't think I'll ever forget...

When we first got out to the trucks, after a brief bit of classroom instruction, they were all lined up in a row. We were supposed to wait for the instructors before starting the trucks, so during that time the only noise I could hear was the wind. That in itself wasn't the remarkable part. As I was standing there listening to the wind, it started to make a noise that I can only describe as singing. There were two distinct pitches that were in harmony with eachother that had to be produced by the wind cutting its way through and past the trucks. I closed my eyes and listened until the instructors made their way out to the trucks.

I've never heard anything like that in my life. It was like the air was alive.


At this point, the next step is to go through some class-time about shifting the truck and general safe road practices. I think I'll get tested on that in the next two days, and after that-- it's the road. Our groups of three will be in one truck, driving back and forth from here to Arkansas. As long as I can keep the truck in one lane, and not destroy stationary objects when I make right-hand turns, I should be ok.

One of the first days during class one of the instructors told me that in trucking, there are no days, only dates. Days to a truck driver, mean nothing. I don't even have my full CDL yet and already this is becoming more and more true. Today is Sunday. I thought for sure that it was Friday, or Saturday at the latest. The days are losing meaning and blurring together into one long string of sun ups and sun downs. I'm not quite used to this.

One more week to go, and then it's a bus back to Huntsville with empty pockets and a CDL in my hand. Once I get back to town I have a few things that are on my list of things to do.

1. Sleep untill I can't
2. Go to Mason's and get an ice-cold beer and a rueben sandwich
3. Go downtown, and take a walk through the park and the surrounding neighborhoods
4. Find somebody to take a walk with me

5. Thank everyone profusely who has helped me get here and through this
6. Tie up some loose ends

I end this with a text message that I got the other night from a good friend. I am incredible fortunate to have people like this in my life. In times of weakness, its the people you surround yourself with and call your friends that will keep you going when you don't think you can.

Your hard work is getting me through finals. It used to be different where I would work to be in a better spot than you as motivation, but now I have to work as you are. I am proud of how well you're doing over there. Keep up the good work. I'll do the same. God I just want to sleep but no. I will continue.

No comments: